15 Job Ideas That Do Not Require a College Degree
Does a lack of a diploma hinder your professional life? Check out 15 job ideas for those without a college degree
Do you have a college degree? There was a time when not having a college degree limited your career options. For years, a college degree was a basic requirement to apply for many jobs, let alone get an interview, making it extremely difficult to obtain high-income jobs without a degree.
That’s all changing with the rise of the internet, remote work, and the freelance economy. Today, anyone with an in-demand skill set can use the internet to find customers, process payments, and even sell and deliver products to buyers.
While there’s nothing wrong with a traditional career based on a college degree, it’s not your only option these days. There’s a large market for independent service providers. The customers for those services care more about your skills and talents, not your educational background.
Not sure how to start your new career? Or unsure of what path to follow? Below are ideas for 15 of the highest-paying jobs without a degree you can start considering. The good news is that you can learn the skills needed relatively quickly and without going to college. Pick a job that interests you, brush up on your skills, and launch your new career!
15 jobs without a degree for you to consider!
Do you have style and an interest in fashion? You can be part of the fashion industry without a degree. That’s especially true if you have sewing skills. You can run a sewing business from home and work flexible hours.
- Average salary: Sewist average $28.12 per hour
- Average investment: $2,000 – $3,000 for materials, advertising, training, and more
You may think sewists wouldn’t be popular these days, but they’re more in demand than ever. There’s a great demand for custom-made clothes. You could fulfill custom alterations or repair damaged clothing.
The best part of this type of business is choosing exactly how much work you want. If you don’t want to work many hours, take fewer orders. You control your schedule and your income.
Are you artistic or crafty? There was a time when an arts and crafts business only had the opportunity to sell products at craft shows or from home. No more. Today there is a wide range of websites where you can advertise your products to buyers worldwide.
- The average income for an arts and crafts business is $55,119 per year.
- The average investment for starting an arts and crafts business varies based on the types of crafts.
One of the best things about an arts and crafts business is that you can start with very little investment. Start by buying only enough supplies for a few items. Then show them to friends, family, and buyers online for feedback. From there, you can decide if it’s worth investing more money.
Do you have knowledge or experience in the beauty industry? Maybe as a hairstylist, makeup artist, or nail professional? Traditionally, those types of jobs had to be done in a salon. However, in the new freelance economy, it’s common for customers to visit a home or even have the service provider come to them.
- The average income of a beauty services professional is $52,177 per year.
- Investment in starting a beauty business varies. Starting a salon can cost tens of thousands of dollars. However, if you’re starting a home-based business, you could get started for a few hundred dollars to cover the equipment cost.
One unique opportunity in the beauty industry is the ability to become an influencer on social media. You can make instructional videos, post them on your favorite social platforms and sell affiliate products for a commission on each item.
Love to cook but don’t want to work in a restaurant? There are plenty of food-based businesses you can run from home. You can provide the classic catering and baking options, or you could offer a subscription service that provides a set number of prepped meals each week.
- The average income for freelance caterers is $62,872 per year.
- The average investment to start is $10,000 to $ 50,000, but this varies depending on how much equipment you need.
There’s also an opportunity in the food business to use video and social media to promote your products and services. Videos of you actually cooking the food could help drive business.
Do you love to write? You could make a living writing a blog. There are two primary ways to earn money from a blog. One is allowing ads on your site. You get paid each time a visitor sees an ad. Earning money from ads can be lucrative if you have a lot of traffic.
The other option is to sell products on the blog. You can sell your products or affiliate products, where you earn a commission on each sale.
- The average income for bloggers is $50,000 annually.
- The investment in starting a blog is close to zero. You can set up a domain and website for about $100.
VIDEO: 5 ways to make money blogging and MONETIZE your CONTENT | Hotmart Tips
YouTube is the largest video platform in the world. You can make a career out of being a YouTuber. The key is to have a niche in which you can make engaging videos that appeal to a specific set of viewers.
You make money on YouTube by placing ads before or during your videos. You get paid each time someone views an ad. The larger your audience, the more money you’ll make. Remember that building a large YouTube audience can take a long time.
- The average income for YouTubers with at least 1 million subscribers is $60,000 annually.
- To get started, you will need video, sound, and editing equipment, which could cost several hundred dollars.
VIDEO: How to Create a YouTube Channel – Beginner’s Tutorial | Hotmart Tips
Do you love music? You could make some good money as a freelance DJ. The best part about this career choice is that it’s easy to teach yourself everything you need to know. Many videos, articles, and other free resources are available online.
You’ll need to invest in equipment like turntables and speakers, but once you’re up and running, you can start advertising to get hired to play for weddings, parties, corporate events, and much more.
- The average income for a DJ is $47,611 per year.
- The average investment for a DJ business is $1,500.
Another work-from-home career you can start without a degree is affiliate marketing. You sell other people’s products as an affiliate marketer and earn a commission on each sale. You will promote affiliate products by starting a blog, a website, email marketing, social media posts, or whatever other means you find effective.
To be successful as an affiliate marketer, you should have a large audience in a specific niche. You will earn a substantial income by offering products that appeal to your audience.
- The average income for an affiliate marketer is $51,700 per year.
- The average investment varies, but an affiliate marketing business is generally a low-cost operation. You can get started with just a few hundred dollars.
VIDEO: Affiliate marketing for beginners | The steps to make money as a Digital Affiliate
You could set up an e-commerce store to sell physical products and make money. Again, this works great if you have specific niches to sell products directly to a defined group of customers. You can reach them via online advertising, a website, social media, or eCommerce platforms.
You don’t have to be a website expert to set up an e-commerce store. The available platforms will simplify the entire process, from setting up your first item to processing payments and shipping products.
You also don’t need to own products when setting up an eCommerce store—partner with suppliers who manufacture the products and ship them directly to your customers. You will focus on advertising your store and processing the sales.
- The average income for an eCommerce store is $68,139 per year.
- You can start a store with an investment of nearly zero, depending on the platform you use.
A thrift store resells gently used items at reduced prices. Owning a thrift store can be a fun way to meet interesting people and make money. Your store could sell clothes, furniture, collectibles, and much more.
You can source your inventory from a wide range of places. You can buy products directly from the public. You could look for items to sell by attending auctions and estate sales or visiting storage unit auctions to see what you can find. Garage sales are also great sources of products for your thrift store.
- The average income for a thrift store is $45,000 annually.
- Your investment will depend on your store, but you will likely need inventory, store space, and more. It can be a significant investment to start.
Do you love animals? A great way to combine that love for pets with a career opportunity. You will provide pet care when owners are at work or out of town. You could offer daily service for working pet parents. Or you could look after pets for a couple of days at a time while the owners are away.
The great thing about this business is that you can use many apps and websites to promote your services. Websites like Rover and Trusted Housesitters allow you to connect with pet owners in your area and grow your business.
- The average income for a pet sitter is $32,016.
- The investment to start this business is next to nothing, aside from your promotional costs.
If people can now have lucrative careers without a college degree, they must learn their skills somewhere. Many are doing so through digital courses. You can generate income by developing and selling courses online as a digital course creator.
Many online platforms make it easy for you to develop your course. Most are video-based and feature a variety of different types of content. If you have skills or experience in a specific niche, you can share your knowledge with others in exchange for either a one-time fee or a monthly subscription.
- The average income for an online course developer is $70,122.
- You can get started with your online course with a $0 investment.
VIDEO: Online teaching: How to create an online course? | Hotmart Tips
Photography is a fun hobby, but it can be much more than that. You can make a nice living selling your photos in today’s digital age. If you aren’t experienced as a photographer, there are plenty of courses you can take online to improve your skills.
Again, it’s helpful to specialize in a niche. For example, you could specialize in taking wedding photos, family photos, or even baby or pet photos. Or you could capture images and sell them online. There’s a huge demand for using stock photos on websites, marketing materials, and much more. There are many websites where you can post your photos and receive royalties.
- The average income for photographers is $42,770 per year.
- The average investment to become a professional photographer is around $10,000 for cameras, equipment, and editing software.
Do you have an eye for fashion? You can get hired to help others develop their brand and personal aesthetic. As a personal stylist, you can work remotely from home.
To get started, post social videos showing different outfits and explaining how you put them together. Offer virtual styling sessions where you consult with clients to improve their styles. You can also sell clothing from retailers on your website and social platforms for a commission when your customers make purchases.
- The average income for a personal stylist is $38,489 per year.
- The average investment is approximately $2,000 for clothes and video equipment.
A hostel is a popular option for travelers looking for budget accommodation. With a hostel, you offer a bed, shared bathrooms, and minimal amenities. The lodgings are often bunk beds in a shared room. Make your hostel appealing to younger travelers who want to see the world but have limited funds. It could be a great way to make money if you have the space and you live in a desirable travel destination.
You can register your hostel on a wide range of websites where travelers can search. Post pictures and videos on social media platforms to increase your reach and appeal.
- The average income for a hostel is $73,860.
- The average investment to start a hostel is approximately $65,000 – $75,000, primarily to renovate the space. Your investment could be much less if you already have property and space suitable for a hostel.
Explore jobs without a degree near you
So, this is our list of jobs you can do without a degree. It’s not an exhaustive list. To start a great career, be creative and start thinking about how to leverage personal experiences and knowledge. You can use that knowledge to help others while generating income for yourself.
A college degree is still a helpful tool, but it’s not the mandatory requirement it once was to have a lucrative career. There are plenty of business opportunities for those willing to be creative, work hard, and try something new.
Check out the resources at this link for step-by-step instructions on how to start your online business.